Friday, April 30, 2010

SIMUN

I thought SIMUN was a great experience. I thought I did okay; I honestly could’ve done better. The first day I thought it was a good idea to just watch and have an overview of what it was all about. My country was only directly involved in one scenario through a newsflash. The scenario was about the Mexican drug wars, and the killings of Americans and innocent Mexican citizens and police officers committed by the drug cartels. The newsflash said something along the lines of 50 people were killed on a spring break trip, those spring breakers were from the European countries of Italy, Germany and France.

When it came time for a caucus I would talk with Germany, France, and Denmark. We would all share opinions and once we returned back to our seats we would raise our placards and would asked to be put on the speakers list so we could share our opinions with everyone else.

I prepared myself for SIMUN by researching my allies, and background information on my country. We also were assigned topic papers in Mrs. Bergeski’s class, giving us scenarios on certain issues going on throughout the world today. We had to research different sources and write a response answering the questions that were given to us. These papers helped a lot with the SIMUN scenarios because they related to the issues we had to solve during SIMUN. The research we did gave us background information on these issues.

I thought it was a good experience because it was brand new to me and probably most of the freshmen in Global Ed now. I think it helped us not only make friends with the other delegates in our groups but grow as speakers and help with our problem solving skills, instead of taking the easy way out and resulting in violence, I learned there are many different tasks that can lead to a more peaceful outcome.

Next year for SIMUN I will better prepare myself by, knowing a little more background information on my allies and my country as well. I think next year it’ll be much easier to get more involved because you have a better idea on what to speak about, and what to ask questions on. I will also try to get as involved as possible, like get on the speakers list more, and ask questions more, write recommendations, and even give my opinion to my allies.

No comments:

Post a Comment